Event 2


Me in front of 1 of the projections.


On May 10th I attended Eli Joteva's event. I wasn't sure what to expect before I came but I was still surprised when I got there. As I entered there was a large room with 3 projections on the walls of something I had never seen before. There was also a dripping noise being played over a speaker that put me a little on edge. After talking to Ms. Joteva I found out that the dripping was coming from melting ice spheres that had small pieces of greenery like flower pedals infused into it. The purpose of the gallery was to show the rate at which the ice was melting, to give a representation of how global warming has affected the glaciers and how quickly they're melting. She made an emphasis on what her "glaciers" looked like before being subjected to the warming of the room and compared this to how the earth looked before global warming. Ms. Joteva then posed the questions "what is our role in nature" and "is it our role to intervene". She believes that it's our role to let nature run its course because everything happens in nature for a reason.

The "glacier" hanging above the bowl creating the dripping noise

Contrary to her opinion I believe it's our duty to take a stand and try to reduce global warming. As for nature running its course, there have been steady fluctuations for millions of years that look relatively the same however since the industrialization CO2 levels have been on the rise which increases the greenhouse effect in our atmosphere, subsequently increasing the global temperature. This is  creating a growing peak larger than what's normal for our past and if we don't do anything this will continue to increase and only cause problems for us and our Earth.

Animals like polar bears might not be around
too much longer if the global temperature
continues to increase.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6: BioTech and Art

Week 1: Two Cultures

Week 3: Robotics + Art