Event 3




For this last event I went to the Hammer Museum, a free museum that displays all sorts of contemporary art. This museum displays all sorts of different artists but after talking to one of the workers she said they like to show up and coming artists to give them a chance to be seen.


At the Hammer I focused my time on the Judith Hopf exhibit, who is a German artist who focuses on sculpture.  Her work utilizes materials that would most likely be found out in the yard such as bark, wood chips, and brick.  Her project at the Hammer consists of brick sculptures that are "animated" and appear cartoonish.  The pictures below and to the side show me next to the brick penguin and the brick feet. I feel the brick feet are a good representation of how we need to slow down and enjoy the life that surrounds us without worrying too much about the future or past. This one hit me pretty hard because I'm finishing up my first year of college and it feels like it went by in the blink of an eye, so moments like the one I had at the museum remind me to slow down and think about how much fun I'm having in what's probably going to be the best four years of my life.



Also in the background of the picture of me with the penguin is a picture of a computer with a body which I believe represents how technology driven our society is. This picture  shows that we are all just screen-heads and spend most of our day wrapped up on social media. The two portraits had a few differences yet at the core they were just the same screen. I see a connection to how people use the internet to define their personality, they see a "cool" person wearing one thing so they must get it too. It creates a society where people act a certain way to be popular, not necessarily because thats who they are as a person. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6: BioTech and Art

Week 1: Two Cultures

Week 3: Robotics + Art